Monday, September 1, 2014

When an outlaw comes knocking


But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Matthew 5:44 esv

 

There he was.

Standing on my front porch in all his angry glory.

Moments before he had attacked my front door. There is no other term for it. There was no knocking involved. When his hand connected with my door, the frame shook, the windows rattled, and the sound carried to the neighbors house.

It sounded like the person on the other side intended to come in whether I let them in or not. The angry pounding should have been my first clue but I did what anyone would.

I opened the door.

To be greeted by a man that was wearing attitude like most men wear shirts. He glared at me, his city ID tag proudly displayed around his neck, and started very nearly yelling at me and calling me by someone else’s name.

When I told him I wasn’t Joanie, he gave me a look that implied I was lying, and launched into another tirade. I tried to be nice, really I did. I politely informed him I wasn’t Joanie, to no avail.

This man had it in for me whether I was Joanie or not. I’d like to be able to give him the benefit of the doubt and say maybe he was having a bad day but with this man, that isn’t the case. He works for the city I live in and I’ve seen him around town. I have never been on the receiving end of his attitude before but I have had one other encounter with him. When I helped another woman at the city hall inform him that what he was demanding she do went against city ordinance.

This time though, I was the sole recipient of all that attitude. He glared, he glowered, and he snarled.

There is no way this man meets hero requirements. He is the type of person that makes you want to cross the street to keep from being in his presence. He can make small children cry and hide with just a look. He is the man a writer casts as outlaw in a manuscript.

And he would make a good outlaw.

But what do you do when an outlaw worthy person is snarling at you from your own porch.

Say whatever you have to and shut the door!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment