Tuesday, October 28, 2014

He calls me His




But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.
Hebrews 11:16


Writing a manuscript sometimes becomes a balancing line between what we want to write and what we're allowed to write. Between what we feel will make a good story and what we know the industry requires or won't allow.

For me...I let the words flow as they come. Every so often I write something that I question whether it will be allowed if that manuscript makes it into print. I have one manuscript that has my hero and heroine sharing a hotel room with a single bed. And they aren't married. I have doubts if an agent or publisher would allow me to leave that in. 

I didn't plan to put that in there but my manuscript, as with real life, had things going on that landed them at a hotel in the middle of the night where only a single room was available. What are the characters to do? He is injured and unable to drive and she's too tired to keep driving. Life happens. Even in fiction.

In this case that put them in a situation where they have to share a room with one bed or keep driving. They took the room.

But I don't know that that scene will be allowed by industry standards. I may need to rewrite it if that manuscript ever gets accepted by an agent. For now I am leaving it because it worked well with the story. And I have read numerous other books where the hero and heroine spent the night alone together without marriage. 

All that to say there are many times in writing that I, as an author, straddle the fence. Are my characters growing too close too fast? I don't like conflict between my hero and heroine- but it is required by the industry- so my conflict often gets solved, or close to it, too early in the story. Then there is the issue of my characters faith. Are they showing enough of it? Is it deep enough? Can my readers grow in their own faith based off something in my characters faith? Do I have enough Bible verses in it? Too many? Are my characters showing dependence on the Lord as they face the many trials I send their way? Can you tell by their actions and lives that they are followers of the one true Lord?

Our Lord is never ashamed to call His people His. He gladly calls us His children. If we belong to Him. There is a whole lot of security in that. It is what I cling to when I need to know I'm not alone. When life becomes more than I can bear instead of panicking I turn to the only One that can make a difference. To the One that can change the outcome if He so desires. And I place everything in His hands. Because I am His child.

And He calls me His.

But do my characters show that? Will my readers see it in their lives? Will my manuscripts give hope and edification to those that read them? 

My ability to write is nothing short of a gift from God. If I fail to use that gift in a way that glorifies my Lord than I am not using my gift to the best of my ability. 

And so...I straddle the fence. I try to write to please my Lord while still staying within industry standards. Do I accomplish both? I do not know. I can only pray that with every word I write I am pleasing my Lord and that He knows I am trying to write in a way that brings glory to Him. 




No comments:

Post a Comment