Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Flowing Words


What makes the words flow? What is it that makes one person a writer and another say I can’t string two sentences together.

Writing is a gift…I know that.

And yet.

Where do the words come from?

Growing up I was always the little girl that sat and day dreamed. At home. At school. In the car. It didn’t matter where I was or what I was doing…I lived in a dream world. Sometimes I did it as an escape, to get myself away from where I was and what was happening. Sometimes I did it because I was bored. And other times…I just did it because the imaginings were there.

In school I enjoyed the assignments that required writing the most. It didn’t matter the subject I’d take an essay or a report over multiple choice any day.

The words just came even back then.

I think I was about 15 the first time I ever attempted to write a book. I say attempted because it was doomed to failure from the start. A spiral notebook, a pencil, and the determination to write another book just like ‘that one’ because I wasn’t ready for that one to end… That was not a set up for success. But it was a beginning. I completely wrote my first manuscript at age 19 or 20. I made it all the way to the end with that one.

But that time I had a computer.

My husband tells me… ‘you sure can write’. And it doesn’t seem to matter if I’m writing a blog post, a book, or just a letter. His opinion is that I can write.

Sometimes I think he wishes I’d write just a little less.

And he hasn’t seen me get lost in writing for 12 to 15 hours at a time. I do most of my writing when he isn’t home so that I can focus on him when he is.

Still…I have no idea where the words come from.

Or why some days I can turn out five blog posts and other days I can’t think of any. I don’t know why sometimes I have more story ideas than I’ll ever be able to popping into my head write (my document section in my computer proves this) and other days there simply isn’t an idea to be found.

I am simply one of those people that can take a word and make a story. Even when there are no ideas, when I think my imagination has been wiped clean, even then I can take a simple word and turn out a story, a letter, a blog post…something.

So, dear readers, here’s a challenge for you. Take one word and turn it into something. If you’re inclined to play this writing game with me…

What can you do with the word corset?

Post your stories in the comment section for a chance to have your story posted on my blog along with your bio and the option of writing a blog post to appear on my blog. My daughters will randomly pick a winner on Feb. 14.

Happy writing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment