Saturday, May 10, 2014

What a Week!


What a week!

If you’ve been following along, you know that my daughter and I double semi-finaled in the ACFW Genesis contest on Monday. That has kept us busy thinking and learning this week. Then this morning I woke up to discover I was one of the winners of the Seekerville blog’s Perfect Pitch contest. The prize? My proposal will be read by a Literary Agent.

To say my head is spinning right now is an understatement. As a relatively new author, I have read lots of blogs and comments that say things move slowly, expect lots of refusals. I was ready for that. I entered the Genesis for the chance to get feedback, not expecting anything else. And that was enough. I just wanted to know if my writing was good enough to warrant all the time I’ve been putting into it. I guess I got my answer with that double semi-final. And now, winning the Perfect Pitch on the heels of the Genesis.

I can honestly say the manuscript that won this latest contest was one I didn’t plan on entering in a contest. I had every intention of writing a different story when I started it but I woke up one morning with these characters in my head. I knew their names and their history but little else until I sat down at the computer. Their story unfolded, word by word, day by day, in two weeks. And I fell Stetson over spurs in love with my characters and their story.

When it came time to enter the Perfect Pitch their story went in because it was the only finished manuscript I had that wasn’t entered in the Genesis. It was a simple case of process of elimination. I had nothing else I could enter. And look where the manuscript I never planned to write got me.

As for that other story…the one I’d planned to write? Well, it’s still waiting for its turn.

How do you choose which story running through your head makes it onto your computer? And were you ever glad you changed your planned work in progress?

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Crystal! Congrats!!!
    Wow, what an awesome turn of events!
    I have to ask, are any of these your first complete attempt at a novel?
    I'm still working on my "starter" novel. I've sort of used it to learn how to write over the last few years. But now I'm at the point I want to write the synopsis and proposal to the next couple in the series and then move on to something else. It's hard for me to move on, since I'm so hardheaded. Ha!

    Excited for you! I'll be looking for your name in the Genesis finals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, no none of these are my first attempt at writing. That manuscript is hidden in a dark cyber corner of my computer files.;) I know what you mean about it being time to move on to a new project. If I'm working on a series, after a while into the second manuscript I get tired of the same old people and I'm anxious to jump into someone else's life. Thank you for the encouragement in the Genesis and good luck to you in any contests you may be in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Crystal! Congratulations on all your good news!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete