Monday, May 12, 2014

You Know You're a Writer When...


You know you’re a writer when…

You spend the last of Mother’s Day thinking of your work in progress and planning the demise of your heroine’s mother.

Yes, I really did that. After coming home from church, no less. My manuscript started running a bit slow and I needed something to spice it up. Nothing like a death to do that. So I was running through my list of non-essential characters. Do I kill off the ten year old kid? Nope, I draw the line at making children die. Just can’t do it. That leaves…the ranch foreman, some unknown or little known person, or my heroine’s mother.

Perfect.

The woman was fun to write. A little loopy. Okay… she’s a lot loopy, but she added humor and depth to the story. But, hey, she’s not essential and I needed something to make my story move. So, bye-bye Mama.

Now I’m working on a funeral. Not my favorite scene to write but not as hard as weddings. For some reason writing weddings is difficult for me. I struggle through every word of a wedding scene. Not a good thing when 90% of my couples are married or get married by the middle of the book.

How did you spend your final hours of Mother’s Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment