Sunday, June 1, 2014

Invaders


I was sitting at my computer, working on my latest manuscript when I looked across the room and…

There.

He.

Was.

Warming himself next to my Himalayan salt lamp, making himself comfortable. Big and ugly. Hideous, actually. The stuff nightmares are made of. The kind of thing that makes me want to run screaming out of the house, down the street and anywhere he wasn’t at. In my manuscripts I can let my heroines do that, but in my real life…not an option.

So I sucked in a deep breath, tried to stop the heebie-jeebies that had a firm hold on me, forced my hands steady and dropped an empty glass jar over the ugly monster trying to make my kitchen his home.

We had a short battle. He was determined not to be captured and I am firmly convinced the only good scorpion is a dead one. You’ll never convince me otherwise. And this one wanted to live in my house. So not happening.

I won the battle and got the thing trapped under glass. Only then…how to get him from under the jar to in it. Perseverance. Finally I succeeded and added a lid to this beast's new and final home. War over. Ugly invader facing his just reward for trying to share my home and interrupting my word count.

Yes, I’m certain this creature was a male. It was too ugly to be female. Don’t bother telling me that in the animal kingdom males are often prettier than females. I’m not buying it. This ugly thing was male. Definitely.

I think he is destined to become an outlaw in one of my books. Maybe he’ll show up as the scorpion he is or maybe he’ll show up as a beady eyed man with scrawny arms and a rounded middle determined to kill the heroine, and his name? Scorpion of course.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment