Monday, June 16, 2014

Book Review of His Mistletoe Family by Ruth Logan Herne


Book Review: His Mistletoe Family (Love Inspired)

Author: Ruth Logan Herne

 

I won this book in a contest and was lucky enough to receive an autographed copy. Thank you, Ruthy. As with your other books, I truly enjoyed this story.

I must admit the length of this books surprised me. Slightly longer than a novella, it left me wishing for more. It’s a sweet story about a woman that becomes guardian of her two orphaned nephews and has no idea how to be a parent. She meets Brett Stanton, a significantly older man, when she takes the boys to a free Thanksgiving dinner at a church. Brett is a former soldier doing his best to forget what his influence did to his only son and his younger brother. When Haley Jennings walks into his life he finds himself wanting to live again instead of hide from life as he has been. The age difference between this couple was written in such a way that I found myself forgetting about it until those moments when it cropped up in the story. Times like when Brett tells Haley he was in the army for twenty five years…and I remember that she’s twenty eight. This was a good, clean book that kept me entertained to the end.

Book Rating: Good

Young Reader Rating: 13 and up

There were no adult scenes in this book. The few kisses were short and sweet and mostly blended into the moment so that only a couple seemed to hold great significance. The hero did father a child out of wedlock and was an absentee dad. And the heroine spends more time at work than with her new family. Although neither of these situations is a problem or treated in any way that comes across as such, I can see where it could influence younger readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment