Thursday, April 3, 2014

About Me


I wrote my first manuscript more than fifteen years ago, a contemporary romance that never saw the light of day. In the years since I finished that manuscript, it was eaten by a dinosaur computer and disappeared from my life. But not before earning me a rejection letter from a publisher. I remember little but the first names of my characters and the basic plot line.

            I moved onto other things. Marriage. Children. And the joys and sorrows that accompanied both. I never thought to write another manuscript. That brief foray into the writing world was put behind me and kept as a treasured memory that I examined from time to time. Then, last June my oldest daughter talked me into writing a book. How she managed that feat, I’ll never figure out, but one day I gave in to her begging and sat down to the computer intent on writing a few lines to appease her.

            Five weeks later my daughter and I finished that first story. That was nine months and ten manuscripts ago. In that time my daughter and I have learned things we never imagined. We’ve written manuscripts together and on our own. And I have discovered I only live in the present in body. In mind, I am firmly planted in the 1800’s.

But more than that, I discovered something about myself I never knew in those first short weeks of writing. I not only love to read, but I adore writing. When I sit at the computer with a blank word document in front of me, something magical happens. There’s a connection between my imagination and my fingertips that somehow transfers that blank sheet of digital paper into a story with people and places that I had no idea were living inside my head.

            But that makes me sound like a raving lunatic, so maybe I shouldn’t admit that.

            At least I haven’t resorted to having quilting bees with my heroines or joining my heroes on cattle drives. Wait! I went on a cattle drive in my last manuscript. It was great fun. I got to lasso my hero and… No, that wasn’t me. That privilege went to my heroine. All she let me do was put her story on that no longer blank sheet of digital paper.

            Then she broke my heart. Or maybe my hero did. Can you believe they actually fell in love and made me end their story after only 97,000 words? Now I’m forced to let them lead their lives without me while I move on to other people I didn’t know were living in my head.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog home you have here, Crystal. Nice home for all the characters running around in your head : ) Not to worry, I understand completely and do not think you're certifiable, LOL!

    Wow, you've been busy! SEVEN entries in the Genesis! That is so incredible, Crystal. Are all of them 97000 words? You must write speedbo every month.

    I think it's so cool you're writing with your daughter. Parents are always looking for ways to connect with their children, I think it's absolutely wonderful you can share your talents with each other. Very, very nice.

    Have fun with your blog. I've got you on my favorite list, so I'll be back : ) I'm excited to be your first comment!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audra,
    Thanks! Quite a switch to be on the blogging end instead of the commenting end! No, not all of those entries are so long. One is a novella, two are in the short novel category, and the other four average at 80K.

    ReplyDelete